Sports, with their impact and influence, have always had a place in society. Its magnificent ability to unite people makes sport a powerful communication tool. Sports also help to strengthen connections and trust in our wider communities. The sports dynamic essentially transcends all social, political and ethnic barriers.
Let us look at some ways in which Sports contribute to a growing child’s personality.
- Enhances Self Esteem
- Reduce anxiety
- Builds a positive outlook towards life
- Builds team work and collaboration
- Inculcates healthy sense of competition
- Better body image
- Builds ability to handle setback and failures
- Builds better social skills
- Promotes many values such as discipline, team spirit, time management, crisis management, resilience etc.
- Improves cognitive function, academic performance and behaviour in school.
- Athletes have higher levels of academic achievement than non-athletes.
Facts about sport participation:
- Research proves that kids who are involved in sports have better concentration level that those who are not.
- Sport participation improves blood circulation in the brain and physical well being which in fact makes kids more alert and high on concentration.
- They have better time management skills as they have less time to complete things.
- Sports offer children a change from the monotony of their daily life that has a positive impact on their academics.
- Sport participation helps in overall personality development and helps improve self-esteem.
- Sport is a good way to relieve stress and handle disappointments.
Ms. Mugdha Bavare
Counseling & Sports Psychologist
Director, Disha Counseling Center